Old 01-20-2008, 05:04 PM
Experienced User: Healthy

Default What Helps You With Stress

So I was wondering what helps you when you get stressed out? The thing that helps me is to get some time to myself. Being a mother of two young sons that is not always easy to do. I have resorted to locking myself in the bedroom when their Dad is home for a couple of hours and reading a good book. Sometimes that will help me.
Old 01-20-2008, 06:38 PM

Default What helps you with stress.

When I get stressed I find if I soak in a hot bath it helps. It seems to relax me, and I feel A lt better when I get out.
Old 01-21-2008, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tater03 View Post
So I was wondering what helps you when you get stressed out? The thing that helps me is to get some time to myself. Being a mother of two young sons that is not always easy to do. I have resorted to locking myself in the bedroom when their Dad is home for a couple of hours and reading a good book. Sometimes that will help me.
I usually try to remove the source of the stress. Of course, that doesn't work with children but it can work with adults! Grown folks who trigger my stress don't spend any time in my company.
Old 01-21-2008, 06:07 PM

LOL, I had to stop for a moment. I was like how do I remove the children? You are right though that there are some things that cause stress that I could probably do away with.
Old 01-22-2008, 12:14 PM

I have also found that burning incense helps me quite a bit. I love Nag Champs and use it daily during the winter months. Since I find the shorter days depressing, I add the incense as "emotional compensation".
Old 01-24-2008, 11:41 AM
Active User: Feeling Good

Quote:
Originally Posted by tater03 View Post
LOL, I had to stop for a moment. I was like how do I remove the children? You are right though that there are some things that cause stress that I could probably do away with.
That was a good one. Usually my aunt used to send her 2 kids to my place for 2 days when my uncle would be out of town and just used to relax at her place reading a book or spending time with friends eating out rather than cook, it would really relax her a lot.
For me I try to listen to some good music, watch a good movie, just sit alone over the beach or relax in bath tub. These are the alternatives I try to get off my stress.
Old 01-25-2008, 09:19 AM

I like working out to relieve stress, I'll go for a nice long walk or jog in the evening, weather permitting, and I find when I get back home i feel much better
Old 01-27-2008, 08:44 PM

I like going out on my porch and sitting down with a good book. My lab Jenny sits next to me and we just enjoy the fresh air and a little escapism into a new world. I have been enjoying a little James Clemens "Wit'ch Fire".
Old 02-09-2008, 10:49 AM

Reading and television are great stress relievers for me. Sometimes I'm too keyed up to read, and watching something mindless on television calms me down.
Old 02-22-2008, 10:54 AM

A couple of hours just taking it easy without the kids is normally enough to relax me. Walking the dogs, gardening or just taking a bath are things which I find hard to do with the kids along, so I don't have to so anything fancy when I get the opportunity.
Old 03-13-2008, 02:44 PM

I like listening to relaxing music. Specifically, I have on a classical station when I'm driving in rush hour traffic.

I find it helps me.
Old 03-20-2008, 12:42 AM

What works for me may seem odd, but I imagine a totally blank white wall and focus on it, pushing all other thoughts out of mind along with deep breathing. As long as I stay focused, I'm able to destress.
Old 03-21-2008, 01:37 PM

First, a nice stretch helps put the stress in an easier to deal with level. Putting on the headphones and blasting some good rock n' roll like the Kinks, Dave Davies (he's probably #1 in my stress music cataloged), Queen, and the Stones. After that, a nice hot cuppa and a funny stand-up DVD usually has me back on the road to cheerfulness.
Old 04-13-2008, 01:00 AM

Taking a walk helps me with stress. I guess it's the exercise combined with breathing some fresh air. If I can't go outside and take a walk then I'll try some deep breathing like I learned in Yoga class. Sometimes getting really interested in something on tv or online will help me lose myself and the stress.
Old 04-14-2008, 04:09 AM

I like to relax with a glass of wine and sit in the tub of warm water. Just to allow my body to relax and get away from lifes disorders is the best thing I could do .
Old 04-21-2008, 05:15 PM

A cup of coffee and a hot bath. There's nothing better. Except a trip to the beach, but I can't do that every time I'm stressed out. I do try for once every few months though.
Old 06-05-2008, 08:35 PM

Music, helps me with stress. It really calms me down.
Old 09-07-2008, 12:07 AM

I just get away from the source if I can and go on the computer. I wish I could sit down to a good book like my mother but I only fall asleep after a few pages and the next day I forget where I was at so that is a waste of time for me.
The computer is a get away for me because there is no limit to where I can go depending on my mood, I just wonder what I did before this thing showed up. I used to take a drive and go see a friend but my energy level has not been that good in the past few years so I don't do that anymore.
My stress is not so bad at home I think, not as bad as it was when I was working but my pain level may be causing some I am not so aware of and I am trying to figure that out and see if I can do something that will help relieve that part of it.
I have a good life other then pain and it took a long time to build that with some rocky bits but now that I have constant pain I have gotten myself set up to be comfortable so I should be ok. My partner works at home so I am never alone which is a good thing. ANyway I am looking at your suggestions and hopefully I can find something here that will help me. This is a good site and I hope to see more action on it. It is easy to navigate and I hope to be here a long time.
Old 09-07-2008, 01:12 AM

Yoga helps me work out physical knots and eases me into sleep if I do it before bed.
Old 09-07-2008, 01:15 PM

I found that now that summer is simmering down, and I have started back at the gym four days a week, I have felt less stress. Ginger tea before bed is wonderful as well.

[url]www.richinsidestore.com[/url]