Old 06-01-2008, 04:10 PM
Experienced User: Healthy

Default Heat and Back Pain

Does applying heat help with back pain or should you use cold compresses? I get so confused on what works best. Thank so much.
Old 06-01-2008, 11:32 PM

I really can't say what works the best. But I always use heat and it seems to work for me.
Old 06-02-2008, 04:44 PM

Most of my doctors have suggested cold for the first 24 hours and heat afterwards. The only problem with this is it is counter intuitive. If you have strained your back, cold will cause the muscles to tighten. If you are having spasms, this would tend to make them worse, don't you think?

Last edited by SageMother; 06-04-2008 at 12:48 PM.
Old 06-02-2008, 05:47 PM

I agree, Sage. Cold on my back hasn't ever worked for me. Warmth is what makes my back muscles feel better.
Old 06-03-2008, 05:24 PM

Is it possible that it depends on exactly why the back is hurting?

I remember hearing that heat wasn't good for some ailment - I think it might have been inflammation. Does that make sense?
Old 06-04-2008, 10:58 AM

I have had episodes of back pain for over 20 years and all I can tell you is that heat helps me, I use those stick on heat patches. I have to use medication too, but the heat helps to ease the spasm and it enables me to keep moving.
Old 06-04-2008, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taggart View Post

I remember hearing that heat wasn't good for some ailment - I think it might have been inflammation. Does that make sense?
It might not be good if your back pain involves a fracture, "slipped" disc. or a rupture of a disc.

If the back pain goes on for more than a week, you probably need to get to the doctor and get some serious meds. If the pain is left untreated, it may become chronic.
Old 02-21-2009, 04:22 PM
Active User: Feeling Good

Heat certainly helps my back pain, it is not a miracle cure, but it brings a degree of relief. I have had back problems for many years and I have never been told that cold would help, it doesn't make any sense.
Old 03-07-2009, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taggart View Post

I think the cause of back pain should always be determined before trying any treatments, hot and cold included.

If you don't have things checked out, you can cause more injury trying to go about your normal daily tasks, causing the problem to worsen.
Old 03-07-2009, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twiceshy View Post
I think the cause of back pain should always be determined before trying any treatments, hot and cold included.

If you don't have things checked out, you can cause more injury trying to go about your normal daily tasks, causing the problem to worsen.

It's always tempting to treat your own injuries, especially if you don' t have the time to get to a doctor to get things checked out.

I'd definitely be careful about lifting anything if my lower back was hurting!
Old 09-17-2010, 10:17 AM
New User: cough cough

Back pain is a very common experience that most people have to deal with at some point in their lives. Heating pads are often a common recommendation for back pain but the truth is that most people do not use these pads properly or even know why they work.
Old 09-20-2010, 12:53 AM
New User: cough cough

I made painful mistake by putting hot patches on my injured back. My chiropractor says ice, ice and only ice. It makes sense since injured muscle are inflamed, and inflammation is treated with cold packs. But be aware of ice burns, which happens if you keep ice on your bare skin for too long (learned that lesson as well hard way )