Old 02-09-2008, 01:18 PM
New User: cough cough

Default Is Eating only 1 mean a day bad?

I wake up around 9 every day. I dont eat breakfast and rarely eat lunch but i have a big supper.

I feel fine but is it unhealthy for me to be doing this?
Old 02-09-2008, 02:42 PM
Experienced User: Healthy

I hear that it's better to have several smaller meals per day for someone trying to loose weight, rather than one large one.

Aside from weight loss, I think our brains function better throughout the day if we have breakfast, especially with significant protein.
Old 02-10-2008, 04:25 PM

I am also a person who can do one meal a day, but I think it's much healthier to eat several times a day. Your blood sugar, for one, needs nutrition through the day so it can stay constant. Eating one meal a day would probably cause spikes and lows to the blood sugar. This isn't a good thing for diabetics or people with alot of diabetes in their family.
Old 02-10-2008, 05:47 PM

Default one meal a day

I was always told that it is not good to eat just one meal a day. They always said to eat three meals a day, and that the most important meal is breakfast.
Old 02-10-2008, 06:17 PM

I used to do this all the time. The thing is that I think that you end up in some ways gaining weight just because if you are like me I tend to heat a huge dinner and it is usually not healty food. I find I eat better overall if I eat at least two meals a day.
Old 02-10-2008, 08:35 PM

My doctor told me that if you only eat one meal a day, or if you cut your calories too drastically, the body goes into "starvation mode" and the metabolism slows down. This actually makes it harder to take weight off. She told me to eat several (up to 5) small meals per day, heavy on the protein.

I've also heard that having a healthy breakfast is important. Unfortunately, I'm not a morning person and the most I can manage for breakfast is a couple of pieces of toast. But I do make sure to load up on the protein at my mid-morning snack and at lunch.
Old 02-11-2008, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calypso View Post
My doctor told me that if you only eat one meal a day, or if you cut your calories too drastically, the body goes into "starvation mode" and the metabolism slows down. This actually makes it harder to take weight off.
I've heard that too. I try to eat something early every morning to get my metabolism going. I hear that protein's good to help your mental activity.
Old 02-11-2008, 05:37 PM

It actually took me awhile of trying to eat breakfast before I eventually developed an actual hunger for it. I would just eat mainly because I needed to eat more than one meal a day. Now I do find myself hungry in the mornings.
Old 02-13-2008, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calypso View Post
My doctor told me that if you only eat one meal a day, or if you cut your calories too drastically, the body goes into "starvation mode" and the metabolism slows down. This actually makes it harder to take weight off. She told me to eat several (up to 5) small meals per day, heavy on the protein.
This is important to remember, yes... a lot of people think they're doing a good thing when limiting calories so strictly. What they're actually doing is changing the metabolism, yes... and that makes losing even harder.
Old 02-13-2008, 07:01 PM

Red face

Well thanks everyone, but honestly i've tried so many times to at least have two meals but, breakfast makes me nauseous, lunch its not to bad, but i have a huge dinner, at this point i dont have weight problems or any other kind, im slender, but im afraid that eventually all of the sudden im going to blow up, because i really eat for dinner the same or more than my 6'5" boyfriend. I guess i have to keep trying to get into start eating at least 3 times a day.
Old 03-27-2008, 03:40 PM
Active User: Feeling Good

Breakfast has always made me nauseous too, glad to see that I am not the only one who feels that way. I have a large dinner, and will usually eat a couple smaller meals throughout the afternoon. I'm very thin also, so your issue sounds very similar to mine.
Old 04-14-2008, 03:27 AM

That is pretty much starving yourself in my eyes. You are suppose to eat 6 meals a day(small that is) in all honesty.
Old 05-08-2008, 02:00 AM

I'd heard the starvation mode story too before but I can't recall where. If I remember right it was after 72 hours that happened? I don't think I could stay away from food for 48, never mind 72.
Old 05-21-2008, 05:25 PM

I've always heard the eating breakfast is the most important meal of the day. It gets your metabolism going and you'll burn more calories throughout the day. I would suggest you eat at least two other small meals during the day to keep the engine revving and the metabolism burning.
Old 02-02-2011, 12:20 PM

Default Only one meal a day!!!!?????

I agree that you should have at least 3 meals a day,
eat healfy snacks in between like fruits, bananas are a energy booster and contains magnesium wich is good for the nurves system aswel, lots of water our
herbal thés.
When you eat a big meal at night time is it obvious that you do't burn the calories anymore, is not a healthy lifestyle when you want to lose weight.

Eat small portions at the time several times a day.
Works for me and don't put on weight.
Old 04-21-2011, 02:06 PM

You must take breakfast in the morning.... If you are not interested to eat bread or eggs etc then fresh juices will be best for your health..
http://straightupfitness.com/whittier-gym/]Whittier Gym

Last edited by Kit; 04-23-2011 at 11:58 AM.
Old 08-15-2011, 06:13 PM

When you only eat 1 big meal in your day, and specially if its later on towards bedtime. Your body reserves the calories because it thinks its going to starve. Its better meals on time because it will continually boost your metabolism throughout the day, instead of overloading it with a lump sum of food!

[url]http://www.alyshia.bodybyvi.com[/url]