Old 07-13-2008, 10:04 PM
New User: cough cough

Default fatal lung cancer was given six months left to live need advice

hi there my father was diagnosed over a year ago with lung cancer at the time it was stage 3 non small cell lung cancer he went through a very aggresive chemo and radiation treatment lasting over seven weeks of going in for treatment every day. The lung cancer went into remission within a month he was hospitalized there was a large amount of fluid on his lung the inserted a drainage tube and drained the fluid. roughly a month after that the cancer was back but not on the lung it moved to his liver he went through another bout of chemo this time it did not help the tumour continued to grow and the cancer was back in the lung now! They began treating him with tarceva again no improvment, instead it spread to his stomach lining. My father has a very aggressive and rapid growing form of stage four non small cell lung cancer and was given a prognosis of six months left to live. the only treatment they are offering him is a clinical trial. but if he refuses to be part of the trial the refuse to give him medication to try to slow the rate of growth and will only give meds to help keep him comfortable in the next few months! unfortunatly i refuse to take that as exceptable treatment and am asking your help and advise in ways of getting help or treatments to help my father he is a father of four and grandfather to fourteen children that all need him very much! if there's anyony that can suggest treatments traditional or on tradaitional it would be greatly appreciated thank you so much
Old 07-14-2008, 12:52 PM
Experienced User: Healthy

I really feel for you. I hope you understand that my words are intended to be helpful, but they may not be what you want to hear. I think you need to talk this through with your father's doctors again. He should not feel pressured into taking part in a trial as his only option for treatment, but I think what they may be trying to tell you is that there is nothing they can do except make him comfortable. If his liver is badly affected the medication may do more harm than good. It is very hard to accept that sort of bitter truth, but the doctors may be acting in your father's best interest. My husband died of cancer when he was 38, he had liver secondaries, so I have some idea what your dad is going through. This UK site has loads of useful information, you may find it helpful [url]http://www.cancerbackup.org.uk/Home[/url].
Old 07-14-2008, 02:28 PM
Experienced User: Healthy

Just is quite right, chris. The people running the tests on the new medicine are not trying to be mean, that is the nature of clinical trials. The doctor offering meds to keep him comfortable (palliative care, that's called)is attempting to be kind to your dad, even if it doesn't seem that way. Let the doctors make your dad comfortable.
You might want to be contacting any hospice that is nearby. They are not just there for your dad, but for you and your family.