View Single Post
Old 07-28-2010, 12:39 PM
New User: cough cough

Quote:
Originally Posted by shibar View Post
Every once in a while I do a low carb diet, and it works great. I can usually lose about 20 lbs. of fat in 4 weeks. After the diet I can go back to eating like I regularly do, and as long as I eat healthy and stay active, I will keep off the weight. I've just started the diet again after months working behind a desk and doing little exercise due to an injury, I've put on quiet a bit of fat. My goal is to go from 188 lbs. to 170 lbs in a month. One week in, I am at 183 lbs. already. Right on schedule!

The diet works like this. Only meat and vegetables 6 days a week. No grains or fruit. One day a week I carb load, eating whatever I want and as much as I want. I take vitamin supplements to compensate for the lack of fruit. It's tough to get used to, especially breakfast, but it works great!
You know you've contradicted yourself here. You say you can keep weight off with a "normal" diet yet every once in a while you have to go on a diet. This scenario is all too common. Statistics say 95% of all dieters regain their lost weight and then some.

In all honesty, this should probably be our normal way of eating: no of very few grains and sugars and very little fruit, lots of veggies, and lots of natural fats (read saturated!). The whole idea is that glucose drives insulin and insulin drives glucose into fat. When you drive glucose directly into fat, your body doesn't get sated and you make up for it. You never get to fully burn that fat off, and you gain. What's your BMI, 25%? 25% of the calories you eat
go directly to storage on a high carb diet. Think about it.

Exercise does very little for weight loss. Yes it increases your energy expenditure, but it also makes you hungry. Hunger wins eventually. Science is actually showing that fat drives inactivity. Inactivity doesn't make you fat. Dr. Lustig has shown with kids that when you reduce their insulin levels via artificial/medical means, they suddenly become active and start losing weight.

Vitamins? Don't waste your money.