Old 09-19-2010, 07:22 PM
New User: cough cough

Default Does anyone find it depressing to deal with the Mental Health dept.?

I was in the hospital a few months ago for depression. I had a horrible experience in the ER while waiting for a bed in the psych ward. My psychiatrist didn't seem to want to discuss this with me eventhough I was so disturbed by how I was treated. He seemed so apathetic! I spent two months dealing with the hospital administration about the nightmare that I had in the ER and finally got some results. However, now I can't even imagine dealing with my psychiatrist! Even thinking about talking to him is depressing to me. Apparently though, it is next to impossible to find another psychiatrist in this area who is accepting new patients. Any advice?
Old 09-29-2010, 03:12 PM

it is really miserable...the situation when you are depressed and if these kind of situations come then it is really hard to suffer...why you are depressed?try to be happy and make your life the best one....you can consult the best psychiatrist in your area too. do a research and i am sure with the help of internet you will find the one
Old 10-05-2010, 05:11 AM
Active User: Feeling Good

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlowerPower View Post
I had a horrible experience in the ER while waiting for a bed in the psych ward. Any advice?
This is pretty normal. I have a ton of experience with this stuff. And I can tell you that in my area, I've heard more horror stories about people waiting to get into the psychiatric facilities than being in the psychiatric facility themselves.

If you have no other option but to see the psychiatrist you have now, then unfortunately that's what you'll have to do. You could forget about psychiatric appointments and medications and never see him again. But then you'll have to get on a killer exercise and nutrition plan to compensate.

You could always move. But you probably aren't interested in packing your bags over a bad experience.

You mentioned that you finally got some results. Consider that good news. Many achieve nothing when trying to get results.

I think you will find that things will work themselves out in the end.

Myself, well, depending on how bad the experience really was, I'd want to start over somewhere else. Voice my opinion, then pack up and move. Tell the doctor to transfer my file.
Old 02-08-2011, 03:08 PM

Default go through your family doctor

Hi - I feel for you since I am going through a similar thing. I've been avoiding doctors because sitting in clinics depresses the hell out of me, then seeing a doctor and getting a precription, feeling like I'm not doing anything to really address the underlying problem.
Lately due to my worsening depression, and bouts of panic attacks which landed me in Emerg on more than one occasion, I've been in a group through the local mental health organization. They realize the group is not enough for me. So they will spend a little more time and assess my needs now that I've finished in the group. They've given me a referral sheet for outpatient psychiatry at the local hospital which I will take with me to my doctor. The doctors will submit that form and refer me. I will then be contacted by outpatient psychiatry. It may take some time. In the meantime I will make sure to keep a relationship going with that doctor so she can assess and monitor my medication and my symptoms.
To find a psychiatrist on your own is very very difficult. So work with whatever resources are out there. Keep expressing to them that you are not well and need help because you want to get better. Keep emphasizing that and above all, don't give up!
I wish you all the best.
Old 02-08-2011, 09:01 PM

There is a saying: "whereever you go, there you are!" so moving is the geographical cure which won't ultimately help.
My recovery is a full-time job unto itself on top of my regular job. But I'm starting to accept this, try to take care of myself, and use the resources available to me. Sometimes you have to be pro-active as well, really let it be known that you are not coping and need help!
I've joined the local rec centre and taking up swimming again since I used to be a good swimmer and turns out I can still do a few laps in the pool. It really helps to shut the mind off for awhile.
all the best