Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-12-2010, 02:11 PM
New User: cough cough

Default HELP - Losing son to depression

My son, who is 19, has battled depression for a while. He's currently on celexa but refuses to see a therapist. He goes for days that he doesn't come out of the basement. He'll go to sleep at 5:00 p.m., wake up at 11:00 p.m, play games until 5:00 a.m. and then sleep all day again. He dropped out of school with one credit left to graduate. We asked him if he wanted to take an on-line course so he could get his diploma and he agreed. This was 4 months ago and he finished one lesson in that time. My husband got him a job where he works but my son only wants to work 3 days a week. No more, no less. He hates the job saying its boring but he's been given many doors to go through for advancement but won't take them. When he comes home from work he goes directly down to the basement and sleeps until 11:00 p.m. We've explained that if wants to get somewhere in life he needs to finish that one course, but he can't bring himself to do it. He has no idea what he wants to do in life and has no desire to try and find out.

Some weeks he's fine. He'll work on his truck and hang out with friends but then the next week he's back in the basement. He won't talk to us, says things are fine. But there is no logic in the things he says. He wants to buy a new truck, move out, go on a trip yet he doesn't want to work, finish his schooling or go to college. Baffles the mind! Can someone help me make some sense of this. I've lost it a few times with him because it's all so frustrating. All he does is sleep and play video games. I'd like him to go talk to someone but he feels he doesn't need to. How do I get him there?