Old 02-20-2008, 12:09 AM
Active User: Feeling Good

Default What is the Best Back Pain Mattress?

What mattress is best for back pain?

I was in a car accident not too long ago and have always had disk issues. Yoga has helped quite a bit but really want to sleep in a mattress that can help.

I found 1 mattress i really like that's designed for people with back pain. Does anyone know a good mattress for lower back pain?
Old 02-20-2008, 02:44 PM
Experienced User: Healthy

My Mum has always had back problems, and she sleeps with a plywood board in between her mattress and box springs. She says she can feel the difference between her bed and others in her back. It's certainly cheaper than a new mattress.
Old 04-14-2008, 03:09 AM

You may want to try a mattress that is orthapedic. Try out the mattress that you can change and or adjust to your comfort level.
Old 04-20-2008, 08:58 AM
New User: cough cough

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollyL View Post
My Mum has always had back problems, and she sleeps with a plywood board in between her mattress and box springs.
I've heard of people doing that years ago, but I hadn't heard of it lately.

I guess sometimes the most basic remedies are best. I wonder if more people use orthopedic mattresses than this technique now?
Old 04-29-2008, 08:16 PM

Orthopedic mattresses might work better but they're definitely not in everyone's price range. My husband's had problems with his back for decades and we've tried the plywood in the past before going to the expense of an orthopedic mattress. It helped him a lot, which surprised us. We did go for the heavier thicker type though.
Old 05-11-2008, 08:00 PM

Orthopedic mattresses have given my back the best luck, but they can be expensive. i got my insurance company to pay for it so cost wasn't a problem for me.
Old 05-30-2008, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken7700 View Post
Orthopedic mattresses have given my back the best luck, but they can be expensive. i got my insurance company to pay for it so cost wasn't a problem for me.
ken, thanks so much for that information! It never even crossed my mind that something like an orthopedic mattress would be covered by the insurance, but I guess that makes sense. I'll mention that to him, thanks again! Any particular kind you'd like to recommend?
Old 05-26-2009, 10:58 PM

The best bed for all backs I think is the bedrock mattress - the hard ones. I mean, think about it, for hundreds of thousands of years, we've slept prety much on hard flat surfaces with little cushioning. While sleeping, our backs need to be supported, not slouched. I find that increasing occurrence of back pain is correlated with modern day amenities.

Softer couches, softer chairs, cushy pillows and beds- they're all the culprits.

Hard beds take getting used to but once you're used to them, oh goodness they're heaven!

Try them!
Old 06-14-2010, 05:21 PM

Default Helps my back pain

I work on the rigs here in Alberta and am constantly lifting things. It's a young man's game, and I'm not that young any more. Anyway, I bought a memory foam mattress from NovosBed and it's difficult to express how happy I am with the purchase. They're WAY cheaper than Tempur-Pedic (70% less I think) and if you've got back pain like mine you'll be amazed at the relief it provides. I'd recommend it to anyone for sure - http://www.novosbed.com. I'm not sure about getting insurance to pay for it though...