Old 08-10-2008, 03:26 PM
Experienced User: Healthy

Default Any mosquito bite remedies?

I'm so sick of taking allergy stuff all summer because of the way I get with a bite- it swells and is scarlet within seconds. I think I'm too used to the tablets now and was looking for a cream or something to use that'll reduce both the swelling and itch. Homemade remedies would be fine too. Thanks!
Old 08-11-2008, 04:55 PM

This is really good to take the stinging sensation away and also reduce the swelling in the bite:
Make a poultice using baking soda and water; make the texture almost like wet sand. Just dab it on the bite and make sure that a good mound of it sticks to your skin. You can use this as often as you like, as there's no chemicals to worry about. You can also make yourself a cool-to warmish bath with a good shake or two of the baking soda; you want to be able to feel the soda in the water. Rest in the bath as long as you like and then shower off the residue. This is good for any itchy, "rashy" type stuff on your skin.
Old 08-11-2008, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenity View Post
I'm so sick of taking allergy stuff all summer because of the way I get with a bite- it swells and is scarlet within seconds. I think I'm too used to the tablets now and was looking for a cream or something to use that'll reduce both the swelling and itch. Homemade remedies would be fine too. Thanks!
Calamine lotion is really good. It's pink and soothing. As for home remedies look at the post above.

Last edited by mollyL; 08-11-2008 at 04:58 PM. Reason: wrong word
Old 08-11-2008, 11:28 PM
Active User: Feeling Good

Hydrocortisone itch medicine will help some. I agree that baking soda and water is a nice one you can make yourself....or oatmeal and water (which can also be done by just putting some oatmeal in a washcloth, tying with rubberband, and dropping it into the bathtub). Very soothing.
Old 08-13-2008, 01:24 AM

I've also read about baking soda and water and recently about tea tree oil as well.
Healthy News, A Today.com Blog
Old 08-14-2008, 05:41 PM

I agree with the baking soda solution. It helps with all kinds of rashes. Aloe vera is also cooling and soothing.
Old 08-17-2008, 07:04 PM

I always have used baking soda and water, and it has worked great. I guess it just carried on from my mom and dad.
Old 09-04-2010, 05:29 AM
New User: cough cough

You can also make yourself a cool-to warmish bath with a good shake or two of the baking soda; you want to be able to feel the soda in the water. Rest in the bath as long as you like and then shower off the residue.
Old 01-12-2011, 07:30 AM

Smile

The best thing is to use odomas ointment applying mustard oil on your body at night.
Old 08-14-2012, 03:45 AM

Yes, i agree this. The most people experience a skin reaction when bitten by a mosquito. For some, the persistent itchiness of a mosquito bite can be maddening. Scratching an insect bite can create an opening for infection, so you really need an effective remedy to stop the itch.