View Single Post
Old 11-15-2008, 09:54 PM
Experienced User: Healthy

I have worked with people who have scoliosis and I have not heard of this treatment but I will look into it and see what I think, When I find something I will post it here as well. The only treatment I have seen so far is rod implants and proper positioning. Most in a wheelchair have pieces put in that will keep the back straight and if you would not qualify for this kind of equipment I would be looking into back support add on pieces that you can buy like Obus Forme. vibration is supposed to be good as well except at the base of the neck. I see most that I have worked with are on some level of pain pills and with the back supports they have they have a good quality of life even in a wheelchair. For Tweed, I would look into good seating support and I am sure you would qualify for it and try the vibration maybe, of course ask your doctor first, but these are what seems to work for those I know with serious scoliosis even tho they all have rods. Also make sure your weight is good so there is less added pain if that is a problem at all. I also have seen rib supports that go right around the body, they don't look comfortable but they seem to help especially those who are too young yet for the surgury and are waiting.
I didn't know it but I have a curve in my back that was found by a therapist during quality testing and that is why I used to get back pain between the shoulders. Now that I know about it I try not to let myself fall into a chair and snooze with my back in a crunch. My favorite chair is my office chair which is a high top and is nearly like an arm chair but keeps me straight unless I fall asleep here. My feet are planted on the floor right and I hate to say it but because of my back problem I spend most of my spare time here and I have hardly any back problems anymore unless I try to lift something heavy. Big thing is I don't do big floppy arm chairs anymore and I think that is the difference for me.