Old 10-18-2008, 12:23 AM
Active User: Feeling Good

Default dating a boss

I realize these situations can end badly, but I wondered if it has ever worked out for anyone. Not everyone who does this is trying to flirt their way to the top. Some people just genuinely grow fond of each other. Can it ever be appropriate in the workplace?
Old 10-18-2008, 03:29 PM
Experienced User: Healthy

I don't think so because I did it a couple of times and it creates a jealousy between you and the others you work with. If it was real serious one needs to move on to another job eventually. My relationships were short lived and I was remembered as a suck up long after, I even heard rumours that I was hitting on another boss later which I never was. I was not looking to be a special part of the work place either, it just happened and I felt bad about it because of the friction it created in my own work area.
Believe it or not married men are more upset about a woman being involved with a boss then some women are because they feel a greater loss just because they have no way of competing, Women feel it too but some think they could suck up too and possibly compete but untill I was a shop steward in my work place I never realised how it affects married men too. Just when you think your only worry was the woman working next to you, hay,,,
Old 10-19-2008, 09:32 AM

I think that if a relationship developed one of you would have to move either to another branch of the same company or to a different job. It creates far too many problems for everyone involved and a new relationship does not need those sort of problems.
Old 10-19-2008, 04:53 PM

I saw several doctor's offices where the docs hooked up with an employee. I'm sure there's lots of relationships that are good and loving and work out, but for myself I never saw it work.
Most were convenient affairs where the two had ample opportunity and (semi) private places to fool around. I witnessed one doc's wife figure it all out and she took him to the cleaners, divorce wise. One relationship, the employee didn't understand that the doc was a serial cheater and tried to press him for a more "permanent" relationship. She got fired so fast her head probably hasn't stopped spinning yet.
Ever wondered why so many doctor's wives are the office manager? Now you know!
Old 10-20-2008, 12:07 AM

I've never personally seen it work out before, but like you said, that's not to say it doesn't work out for some people.
Old 01-24-2009, 11:37 AM

I know of one case where it worked out for the couple on a long term basis.

More recently, I know of another case where it didn't work out, but one of the people involved in that relationship has trouble with them anyway.
Old 01-24-2009, 12:47 PM

No, it is not appropriate in the workplace, if you want to give your relationship a chance one of you needs to move to a different job. I have seen this kind of thing go horribly wrong several times, but do not know of any case where it has worked out.
Old 01-25-2009, 07:03 AM
New User: cough cough

I totally agree to deltec that it's not appropriate to date the boss. Keep your self away from such a non professional attitude always creat problem.
Old 01-25-2009, 10:07 PM

I never had a boss that I was the least bit interested in; mostly they seemed like pigs in suits to me...