Old 01-11-2008, 08:29 AM
Experienced User: Healthy

Default Fad Diets... Not for Me

I have seen fad diets fail so often. I came to the conclusion (when it comes to my own health at least) that when there is a diet that cuts out any particular food category or uses just a small selections of "safe" foods, it usually fails. Not right away, because the weight does come off, but then it ends up coming back *on* for the most part.
Old 01-11-2008, 09:53 AM
Active User: Feeling Good

I think it's mostly due to the fact that you can't survive, at least not in any health, by just eating one small type of food, and eventually when you go back to a regular diet the weight comes back. You just need to control the amount of all foods you eat rather than eliminating anything entirely.
Old 01-12-2008, 10:30 PM

Default sad but true

Katharina is right, fad diets don't work. Eating well but less and getting extra exercise is the only way.
One thing that's helped me alot as a chocoholic are the 100 calorie chocolates that have come out. I know I could portion a bar of chocolate into 100 calorie portions, but I would just end up eating it all!!
Old 01-12-2008, 11:44 PM

I agree with you that fad diets do not work for the long term. To bad that it took me awhile to realize that. I have found that losing weight and keeping it off is a total lifestyle change and not for just two weeks or two months.
Old 01-13-2008, 11:15 AM
Active User: Feeling Good

Quote:
Originally Posted by tater03 View Post
I agree with you that fad diets do not work for the long term. To bad that it took me awhile to realize that. I have found that losing weight and keeping it off is a total lifestyle change and not for just two weeks or two months.
Congratulations, and don't feel bad that it took you a little while to realize it, we all go through that, with some people never realizing what it takes to be healthy
Old 01-23-2008, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollyL View Post
Katharina is right, fad diets don't work. Eating well but less and getting extra exercise is the only way.
One thing that's helped me alot as a chocoholic are the 100 calorie chocolates that have come out. I know I could portion a bar of chocolate into 100 calorie portions, but I would just end up eating it all!!
Tell me more! I have really enjoyed the various 100 calorie packs of different things that I've been finding... but chocolate? Yum! Oh wait... I think I *did* see them. Does it come in "stick" form?
Old 03-08-2008, 06:33 AM

Default fad diets

I agree. I have tried many different fad diets. And none of them seemed to work. If I would lose weight in the end I would end up gaining it all back. There is no long term maintinance.
Old 03-09-2008, 08:11 AM

Fad diets are so often a marketing gimmick designed to fool gullible people into parting with their money.
Old 03-10-2008, 12:25 AM

Hey Katharina, every time I go to market I find that there are more and more 100 calorie packs. They're not only in the candy section, but now I'm finding plenty of varieties in the cookie aisle.
Old 03-10-2008, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollyL View Post
Hey Katharina, every time I go to market I find that there are more and more 100 calorie packs. They're not only in the candy section, but now I'm finding plenty of varieties in the cookie aisle.
I love those 100-calorie packs, too. They allow me to cheat without *really* cheating. In fact with their help, and by following an otherwise sensible diet since the first of the year, I've lost nearly thirty pounds!
Old 03-11-2008, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calypso View Post
I love those 100-calorie packs, too. They allow me to cheat without *really* cheating. In fact with their help, and by following an otherwise sensible diet since the first of the year, I've lost nearly thirty pounds!
Wonderful, Calypso! And congrats! Yep, more and more of those are showing up... nearly every time I go to the store. On Saturday I saw new 100 calorie pack muffins and also Stella D'oro products. Looked like it may have been something like biscotti. I didn't buy any this time, but I *will* be going to the store again this weekend.