Old 02-07-2011, 10:10 PM
New User: cough cough

Question Finding a psychiatrist in BC may be like panning for gold

I have so far seen various counsellors throughout my life due to family of origin abuse. I am now 57 and brought to my knees by depression over the past 3 years. I most recently saw a counsellor through the local mental health centre, then was put into a group which teaches cognitive behavioural therapy. Still my moods take big dips over the slightest thing and don't think I'm even ready for CBT. My doctor is on maternity leave and I get as many different answers to the same questions as there are doctors that I've seen as I drift in and out of clinics. I am now "graduating" from my CBT group and have been granted 4 more individual sessions with a psychologist who was helping to facilitate the group, then it appears "out the door and good luck" to me! I've been given a contact name at a different self-help group but it sounds to me like it might be more on the order of people complaining how terrible they feel and less on the actual solutions/life skills which are required to recover from this terrible disease.
OK - now the question I put to anyone reading this is: how in heck do you get in with a psychiatrist because Mental Health has not even offered to hook me up with one. I'm going to see a different doctor next week but doctors are usually poised with pen over prescription pad, not that interested it taking the time to get a complete profile which I believe is necessary to proper long-term effective treatment!
Man am I disillusioned with health treatment in Canada!