Old 05-05-2011, 10:53 AM
New User: cough cough

Default New diagnosis - overwhelmed

Good morning,

So nice to find such a great resource of information. I was diagnosed recentlyl with type II diabetes and I am finding everything very overwhelming. My diagnosis was found accidentally when I had to visit the ER for another matter. My blood sugar was 18 and the doctor was alarmed. He immediately put me on medication and told me to follow up with my family doctor.

Unfortunately, I can't get into my doctor for another two weeks and have no idea what I should be doing, other than taking the meds. I am trying to research and gather information, but there seems to be an abundance of conflicting info on the net.

So I have started to do what I think is common sense. I have cut out the sugar in my coffee, I have avoided anything with refined sugar. Last night dinner was lean red meat and a salad with a variety of vegetables. My bedtime snack was 1 piece of whole wheat toast with a bit of peanut butter and 8 oz. of 1% milk. Breakfast this morning was a smoothie of mixed berries, half a banana, 4 oz. fat free yogurt and a cup of milk, along with 1 piece of whole wheat toast and peanut butter again.

Can someone tell me if I'm on the right track?

Tonight's supper is pork chop, potato and vegetables.

Hopefully I can find some answers. Would love to have others to chat with and maybe a weight loss buddy.

Today will be a walk with the dogs and possibly a bike ride.
Old 05-09-2011, 11:10 AM
New User: cough cough

Hi, from what I know any food will cause sugar spikes for some period of time. It is recommended to eat more fiber as it will slow down digestion of sugar. Also I am using some products that may help you with your problem. Recent clinical studies showed that there was no sugar spikes after eating them. If you are interested, e-mail me at newyou.diet@gmail.com and I will send you a link to it.

Zhanna