Old 01-27-2008, 08:54 PM
Active User: Feeling Good

Default Gout Question

Gout pain is awful, I get it in my left big toe. However today I started having pains in my right thumb, that hurt so bad I can barely type or even hold my glass of tea.

Can you get gout in your thumb?

I am going to google this, but it hurts so maybe later.
Old 02-05-2008, 04:07 PM
Experienced User: Healthy

Gout attacks joints but I have never heard of it in a thumb.My husband cured his gout with cider vinegar and honey tonic; one tbsp of cider vinegar and one tbsp of honey mixed in a small juice glass with hot water; try that and if your thumb feels better perhaps that was gout. I'd ask my doctor about it as well, just to be safe...
Old 02-05-2008, 04:22 PM
New User: cough cough

Hey, thanks mollyL. My father has gout so I will recommend this to him. How often did your husband drink the cider vinegar & honey tonic before the gout was cured?
E-Mail: effiepallotta@gmail.com
Helping expectant parents prepare for their birth experience and first weeks of parenthood for over 17 years!
Old 02-12-2008, 12:38 AM

He did it once a day in the evening until he started feeling the good of it, then I think he upped it to three times a day. Just see what feels best; at least you can't OD on cider vinegar and honey!
Old 02-13-2008, 12:52 PM

I wonder if evaluating the amount of protein in the diet might also be a key. If memory serves, gout is caused by uric acid crystals building up in the joints. The material for their foundation has to come from somewhere.

Or am I thinking about something totally different?

LOL
Old 02-13-2008, 02:19 PM

I worked with someone who had gout and he said that eating cherries helped prevent it. I'm not sure what the reasoning behind that was.

Otherwise, my mother has a tendency to have gout pain, but she controls it with pills, which I assume are prescribed to her by a doctor.

I hope you're feeling better soon, hurgoll.
Old 02-13-2008, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurgoll View Post
Gout pain is awful, I get it in my left big toe. However today I started having pains in my right thumb, that hurt so bad I can barely type or even hold my glass of tea.
Can you get gout in your thumb?
You can definitely get gout in your thumb, yes. I hope you're feeling better, or at least will be able to find some relief. Try health911.com... I saw an article there at one time that listed quite a few things to try for relief.
Old 02-14-2008, 07:42 PM

Yes, Sage, uric acid is the villain in gout. I know that it used to be thought, a century or two ago, that old rich people had the gout and it was attributed to "rich foods" but I'm not sure what they meant by rich? Fatty meats? Butter and cream?
Old 03-02-2008, 06:51 PM

Default Gout

I have a good friend that has gout. And she has got it in her fingers. I really don't know a lot about this, but I do know that she got it in her fingers.
Old 03-10-2008, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollyL View Post
Yes, Sage, uric acid is the villain in gout. I know that it used to be thought, a century or two ago, that old rich people had the gout and it was attributed to "rich foods" but I'm not sure what they meant by rich? Fatty meats? Butter and cream?
I think that I've heard about someone's diet causing "flare ups" of gout, but I forget what the foods to avoid were.
Old 03-10-2008, 10:12 PM

Yes, flareups of gout reoccur if the patient gets complacent and returns to his old eating habits.
Old 07-25-2008, 07:55 AM

I saw a list of the foods to avoid, and I was surprised that some of them on the list were what I'd otherwise consider as healthy foods.
Old 08-31-2009, 12:50 PM

Default Gout Study

If anyone is interested, there a study on gout being carried out in Thornhill, ON.
The website is [url]http://www.clinicaltrialscanada.com/clinical_trial_listing.htm[/url] or the number is (905)-886-1212.
Old 01-02-2010, 10:36 AM

To all of you who have written about your gout pain issues. Hang in there. There are ways to treat gout for good. It is however hard foe me to generalize everyone's condition as not all gout cases are equal.

Some require long treatment that might take years while others cn be pain free within hours.

I too have managed to treat gout thanks to a book. The book is available online from the following website [url]www.goutpainreliefhq.com[/url] and really has opened my eyes in regards to the methods that work to treat this painful condition.

I hope you can gain the same results and wish you a pain-free existence. Before you rush out and buy stuff you must understand how gout affects your body. There is much you can do with your diet.

Good luck to all
Walt
Old 09-07-2010, 03:51 AM

Cherry

It has been demonstrated that consumption of fifteen to twenty fresh cherries every day helps control the severity of the ailment.

Vegetable juices

A combination of vegetable juices like carrot juice, beet and cucumber juice, taken daily, is very effective in the treatment of gout. While 100ml each of beet and cucumber juice will suffice, the amount of carrot juice to be used is 300ml, for the best outcome.

French Beans

Daily intake of the juice of fresh French beans helps relieve the suffering of gout patients.

Apple

The malic acid present in apples is known to neutralize the uric acid accumulated in the blood stream of gout patients. Thus, the consumption of one apple after every meal is advisable for individuals suffering from gout.

Banana

Reportedly, a patient who eats nothing but eight to ten bananas every day for three or four consecutive days attains some relief from the pain of gout attacks.

Lime

The Vitamin C that is present in lime and other citrus fruits has the capacity to toughen the connective tissues of the body. Thus consumption of this vitamin in the form of fresh lime juice helps in easing the pain associated with gout. Moreover, the citric acid contained in lime dissolves the uric acid that gets deposited on the joints to cause gout. Hence, the freshly squeezed out juice of half a lime into a glass of water should be taken every morning and again some time in the evening.

Garlic

3 or 4 raw garlic pods engulfed with the meal every day has been found to be immensely effective in curing the symptoms of gout.

Herbal teas

Eminent nutrition experts advocate the use of herbs like rosehip, yarrow, peppermint and sarsaparilla, brewed with regular tea, as excellent remedies for gout.

Overweight individuals will need to lose weight in order to get some relief from gout, because uric acid production occurs more in heavier people. However, fad diets that tend to cause sudden and rapid weight loss must be avoided because fasting only triggers the secretion of uric acid. On a regular basis, large volumes of water and a balanced diet rich in organic food should be consumed, while items rich in purine content must be avoided at all events in order for gout patients to live a painless life.
Old 08-01-2011, 06:58 AM

Now, I am in Viet nam. My grandfather has gout for two years. We were used to extract Tom Trong (Atao Nenso) leave for him. Now, we take Hoang Tien Dan capsule instead of. More information website http://benhgout.vn to know detail...

Last edited by benhgout.vn; 08-12-2011 at 03:55 AM.